Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary Offers Incentives to “Explore Your Sanctuary, Virtually!”
Alpena, Mich. – The Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary (FTBNMS) is in the giving spirit and offering a daily prize for those who participate in “Explore Your Sanctuary, Virtually!” an online treasure hunt to explore the sanctuary’s new website.
While the buoys have been pulled for the season and the gales of November have arrived, the sanctuary team is hard at work making sure online visitors can still have an incredible virtual experience exploring shipwrecks and the Great Lakes’ rich maritime heritage. The new website has a wealth of new videos and 3-D images that allow visitors to explore shipwrecks like never before. New images have been collected as part of ongoing research and documentation of the sanctuary shipwrecks.
To encourage the community to explore and learn more about our fascinating underwater treasures, and all the ongoing effort it takes to identify, research, and protect these treasures, the Friends will post a question each day starting Tuesday, November 23, for seven days, culminating on Giving Tuesday, November 30.
Those who submit the correct answer by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org each day will have their name added to a daily drawing. Winners will be announced on the Friends Facebook page at the end of each day, and a new question will be posted the following morning. Answers to each question can be found by exploring the new thunderby.noaa.gov website.
Four Easy Steps to Participate in Explore Your Sanctuary Contest:
1) Read “Explore Your Sanctuary, Virtually!” new question on Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary Facebook page each day from Tuesday, November 23 through Giving Tuesday, November 30.
2) Find answers to daily question by exploring thunderbay.noaa.gov
3) Send email with answer to email@example.com each day. You will be notified if you answered correctly and are entered into the daily drawing.
4) Check FTBNMS Facebook page each day to learn winning answer and find next question.
Don’t forget to visit cfnem.org to give back to your local community nonprofits on Giving Tuesday, November 30, from 12:00 am to 11:59 pm.
- Thunder Bay International Film Festival Thunder Pass (Free access to all film festival programs, $100 value.)
- Two tickets for 2022 Lady Michigan Cruise ($70 value)
- Great Lakes artist Robert McGreevy fine art prints ($30 value)
- Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary Coffee Mug ($30 value)
- NOAA Fourth Element Xerotherm Beanie Hat ($25 value)
- Sanctuary Store Online Gift Certificate ($20)
No purchases or donations are required to participate and we hope you have fun exploring the sanctuary website and gain a better appreciation for the important contribution the sanctuary makes to protecting our historical shipwrecks and the Great Lakes.
For those who would like to contribute to the Friends on Giving Tuesday to support sanctuary research, education programs, Lady Michigan student cruises, museum exhibits, and community outreach efforts, donate online at cfnem.org on Giving Tuesday from 12 am to 11:59 pm, or at thunderbayfriends.org any time.
You can also mail a check to Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, 500 West Fletcher Street, Alpena, MI 49707. If you have questions about the “Explore Your Sanctuary” treasure hunt or how you can become a Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, email firstname.lastname@example.org.