Terms and Conditions
The education room, main exhibit space, theater, and conference room at the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center are available for public use based on availability. Meetings and events that support the mission of the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary (TBNMS) have first priority for room use.
Reservations may be made by completing this form and dropping it off at the Sanctuary Store, returning it by mail to Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, 500 W. Fletcher Street, Alpena, MI 49707, or sending it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call (989) 884-6211 to check availability of dates. The Room Reservation Form must be approved by the booking manager or his/her designee before the room may be used. A Reservation Form must be submitted for each date, even if a room is used regularly.
Conference Room (max seating for 12) – $100/half day, $200/full day, $50/hour (outside of business hours)
Education Room (max seating for 72) – $100/half day, $200/full day, $50/hour (outside of business hours)
Theater (max seating for 93) – $100/half day, $200/full day, $50/hour (outside of business hours)
Exhibit Space – $200 per hour (booking manager discretion for non-profit groups)
3. Deposit Requirement
50% deposit required to reserve room.
The reservation must be cancelled seven days prior to the event to receive a full refund.
5. All of a user group’s property must be removed from the room after use. Rooms must be restored to their original condition. User groups shall be responsible for damage to the room and its contents, including any equipment used by the group. A minimum charge of $50.00 will be assessed for any special cleaning made necessary by the group. The full cost of cleaning and repairs, up to full replacement costs of damaged material / audio equipment / exhibits, will be assessed.
6. Plans for room decor must be discussed and pre-approved by the sanctuary. No balloons.
7. Smoking and open flames are not permitted in the building, or on the grounds. The Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center is a smoke free campus.
8. Food and beverages may be served with prior approval by the booking manager. Alcohol may be served with a written exemption from the booking manager. (A variety of refreshments are available for individual purchase at the Sanctuary Store inside the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center during regular business hours.)
9. The fact that a group is permitted to use a room at the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center does not constitute an endorsement of the group’s policies and beliefs.
Rooms may not be used for meetings or activities conducted by a group or individual that practices or advocates discrimination based on race, creed, color, sex, age, or national origin. Room use will also be denied for meetings or activities that have a partisan political nature or purpose, that are conducted for the primary purpose of generating profit for the benefit of an individual or for-profit organization, or that are conducted for the purpose of advocating or influencing action of legislation.
The balance of the facility rental fee is due the date of the event.
Events must begin and end at the contractually agreed upon time.
Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary (hereinafter ‘FTBNMS’) is not responsible and accepts no liability for any injury, death, and/or property damage or loss resulting or claimed to result from any accident or other occurrence before, during, or after your event or in any way associated with your event. The event host is fully responsible for any damages that occur or are alleged to have occurred during or in connection with the event that is the subject of this contract. The FTBNMS, its staff, board, volunteers are released from any and all liability for theft, damage, or injury associated with or claimed to be associated with the event that is the subject of this contract. The event host will defend and hold harmless FTBNMS, its staff, board, volunteers against and all such claim(s). The event host is fully responsible for the behavior of all guests and other attendees at the event and assumes full responsibility for any and all behavior by such person(s) that is unlawful or is otherwise inappropriate. Children of guests must be closely supervised at all times.
If alcohol is to be served, the event host must obtain and provide proof of event insurance. Said insurance can be provided under the event host’s homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy, general liability insurance, or another appropriate insurance policy. The event host must provide a copy of the liquor license for any event in which alcohol is sold. Please contact booking manager for more information.
Great Lakes Maritime Heritage staff will be available throughout the event. The event host is responsible for taking appropriate measures to ensure all persons on the rented premises are invited or authorized. Event host shall notify Great Lakes Maritime Heritage staff if any unauthorized persons are on the premises. No person shall leave the building with alcoholic beverages.